Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Finals time... ugh...

I figured it's been two or three weeks since my last post, so it was about time I do another. It's about finals time here, so I've had very little time for much of anything. Although I'm done with my history final, I still have to prepare my final presentation for architecture. Also, the Japanese teachers seem to enjoy piling tons of last-minute final assignments on us -_-
Last night, I decided to give the other branch of the Jewish community in Tokyo a chance, so I went to the Chabad Channukah party. Just like Chabad things in MN, it involved paying a large amount of money (after I was lead to believe it was free!) to get food that was mediocre at best and spend time around people I don't really have anything in common with. Is it strange that I felt like more of an outsider when surrounded by all these Israeli Jews than when surrounded by Japanese people? Also, most of the people there were Israeli, and quite a few spoke neither English nor Japanese. A few got loudly drunk, and I felt sorry for the Japanese staff at the hotel where the party was held.
For the next few weeks: prepare a two-minute presentation on solutions to deforestation in Japanese (if anyone knows how to take two minutes to tell people 'just don't cut down so damned many trees' in Japanese, please let me know!) by tomorrow. Test in Japanese on Friday. Speech at the Funabashi English-speaking society on Saturday. Iai-do class in Urayasu on Sunday. IES movie night on Monday. Probably gonna have to get my re-entry permit from one of the government centers on Tuesday. Sometime before Friday, I have to prepare my architecture presentation (which, by the way, is expected to be done as though I'm an architecture major... because the prof is INSANE). Meeting my Japanese conversation partner from the U of M last year the following Saturday. Got another Japanese test the following Friday I believe, and then I'm done. Found out that alot of the full-year students will be having a big party on the 26th here, which I won't be able to attend because I leave on the 25th.
I'll leave you all with a final random statement: I have been told by people of at least 3 different nationalities that I look like Johnny Depp.

No comments: